Sunday, February 24, 2008

Total Lunar Eclipse, more prints and what eats photogs

Howdy y'all! Hope this note finds everyone happy and healthy despite being bombarded by woes of the economy, steroids and the omnipresent presidential babble. Remember, art is always a good investment, if not for it's market value then for the happiness it brings your soul.

In case you weren't able to catch the Total Lunar Eclipse: February 20, 2008 in person, here is a short sequence I took over the course of the event. It was cloudy so they aren't the best and the timing is not equal, but you can get the idea. ( the angles are not correct either. I did not set the camera up and leave it as I had no place to get a shot of the whole event from one spot. Shooting from the homestead also provided a steady stream of Single Malt Scotch which probably did not help either ;-)
There was a Mackerel sky so I had to time the shutter (I couldn't find my electronic cable release, so it was 2 sec timer with mirror lock -up) so it would open during a break in the clouds - not so easy as the breaks were hardly wide enough to fit the moon in between. Watching the event left me feeling pretty small and insignificant in such a vast universe. I wonder if children growing up in the extreme southern Hemisphere think that they may fall off the earth.



The Pelican shot was a hit. Thanks to John, Kayla, Mary and Rusty.



Now that I've finally gotten around to Changing the "prints coming out of my ears" I hope this new one will be of interest. I shot this image of fragrant Water Lilies at Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Michigan's UP. I like how the puffy Cumulus clouds kind of mirror the flowers. For those of you who have my book, you will find this image in it. I waded thigh deep into the water to get this shot and came out of the water with more than I went in with. Can anybody guess what I came out with? I'll give you a hint "African Queen" View Larger image here

No comments: